Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A turn for the worse & diagnosis

Around Regionals it was apparent that something was not right. Not only were my pulls shorter than they had been, but long hammers started to hurt again, and I noticed similar pain in my shoulder (biceps tendon? rotator cuff? labrum?) while pulling. Two weeks after Regionals I was still playing pickup and Fall league, and started having a hard time sleeping and the pain was more constant than it had ever been before. I reasoned that I had not only reaggravated the shoulder injury, but that I somehow had made it worse, although this time I couldn’t remember having an acute moment (i.e. crooked layout, pull) that was associated with intense pain.


On Oct 22nd I went to the orthopedist who listened to the symptoms. An X-ray showed nothing major in the shoulder except some impingement (trouble rotating the ball/socket joint) but this was not considered significant. The doctor suggested I likely had a S.L.A.P. tear - superior labrum anterior to posterior (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLAP_tear), and ordered an MRI be performed. I was hopeful because finally I had an answer to my years of pain and decreased strength. All I needed was an MRI to confirm, and then could get the minimally invasive arthroscopic procedure to correct the problem. The recovery looked to be about 12-16 weeks for SLAP tears and then heavy training could resume. Looking ahead I figured I could be playing Ultimate again and doing heavy weight training by the Spring of 2015 without a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment