Monday, December 15, 2014

Six weeks in the books

Few new exercises, which I'll get to, but the long and short of it is: I remain ahead of schedule! Here is a great resource with a clear timeline for rotator cuff repair.  I continue to be at or slightly ahead of the earliest described timepoint for all activities.

Day-to-day improvements:
-I can fully reach my right arm across to my left shoulder, which makes showering and dressing nearly thoughtless activities, again. This resulted, I believe, mainly from the progression of passive activities the therapist is putting me through, laying me on my side and stretching the repaired arm across my body (towards the floor).
-I can put the key in the ignition of the car, and put the car into gear all unassisted with my repaired arm.
-I can put weight onto the repaired shoulder, i.e. when shifting in bed at night, or pushing myself out of a chair/off the floor.

This week we moved into isometric activity in several planes of motion, including adduction, abduction, that is, internal and external rotation, both from the wrist (shown below) as well as abduction from the elbow into the wall. I am also pushing my fist straight towards the wall, and my elbow back into the wall. In addition, I'm doing a full cohort of AAROM with a broom stick as a great warm-up.

Isometrics (top two panels)
"wand" exercise (middle panels)

I am also using a lacrosse ball to work out knots in my shoulder (from the front and back), simply by placing the ball between my shoulder and the wall, and leaning into it, massaging around, etc.

As long as all these additions, particularly the isometric work, go on without a hitch, I will be allowed to continue intensity and frequency and move towards resistance band training, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment