Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Week 5 summary

Really short post, today, as I leave week 5 behind and start week 6 post-op.

Two modifications of old exercises, and a brand new one.
-Supine scapular retraction becomes prone scapular retraction.
-Front pulley raises adds lateral pulley raises. <-- video link!
-New exercise is internal rotation. Note that this image is NOT exactly what I'm doing, but it does illustrate internal rotation of the shoulder. The idea is to get into position as shown in the second image, on the right, and pull with the good arm, stretching the repaired shoulder into the midline of the body. I use a towel held in both hands to do this. Ideally the hand gets to/past the spine. I couldn't find a better picture of this one as the Google searches all came up with towel stretches in the vertical plane.


Prone scapular retraction


Internal rotation

I've made nice progress in my other activities, though I still have tightness and pain when I'm doing them, especially soreness, afterwards. I am now able to lay on my back with my hands folded on my stomach without the need for a pillow under my right elbow.

Generally, it's still pretty hard, perhaps psychologically more so than physically, with moments of self-reflection feeling as if I'd made some mistake by putting myself through all this. I'm sleeping better but not great, I am unable to focus much at work because I'm constantly thinking about rehab, and I get frustrated with myself, often. However, these weekly reflections are helping as I can see the incredible progress that I have made. I am looking forward to shifting into full AROM and strengthening (phase III) soon.

1 comment:

  1. What's this talk about mistakes??! Chin up, stay positive!! You're a Morawski, ain't nothing we can't overcome!! Keep your eye on the prize and you'll be there before you know it. Hang tight, you're doing good. And remember.... "Winter, spring, summer or fall, all you got to do is call, and I'll be there, yes I will, you got a friend(sister)!!"

    ReplyDelete